Future City Jr. - Team Center
|Teacher Sign-In||Mentor Sign-In|
This secure site will:
- Allow you to set up teams
- Add and change members
- Allow you to upload Essays
- Automatically time-stamp deliverables
- Send acknowledgements for uploaded files
- Obtain detailed scoring reports
Schools and youth organizations with 4th-5th grade students may register by completing the online forms. There is no registration fee at this time for the Future City Jr. program.
The students will work in teams. Teams consist of three 4-5th grade students, an educator and an engineer-mentor. (Suggestions on finding mentors.)
- Students must be from the same organization, but not necessarily the same class or grade.
- Organizations with large groups may either
- Enter multiple teams. Due to possible space limitations, organizations with more than TBA teams and models will need Regional Coordinator approval to present at UT Arlington.
- Work as a class or group prior to the model showing, but select the three students (one team) that will represent the group at the competition.
Research Essay: "The Power or Public Spaces"
This component will similar to the City Essay outlined in the Program Handbook. Download 2017 rules and rubrics for specific details. The Research Essay will be due 2 December 2016. Late submissions will be accepted through 19 December 2016 (with penalty points deducted). Submit the essay in electronic form, in a common file format (.doc or .pdf), by uploading to the FC Jr. Team Center.
This component will be as specified in the Program Handbook, pages 27-28, except
- Model size will be no bigger than 25" (w) x 36" (l) x 20" (h).
- Model will be focused on demonstrating the public spaces theme/essay topic.
- The total value of the materials used may not exceed $50 and must be reported on the Competition Expense form.
Download 2017 rules and rubrics for specific details.
Orientation webinar, 2016-17
- Power of Public Spaces Webinar
- Essay resources (filter on Research Resources and Websites): links, topics, and videos
- Best Essays 2015-16
- Future City model resources - filter on "Activities" for information on model construction and scale
- Model tutorial (video)
- Pictures of 2015 models
- The essay and model will be judged by multiple judges (technical professionals) and the scores for each averaged then added together to come up with a composite/total score for each team.
- The essay will be judged during Dec-Jan.
- Model judging will take place at UT Arlington on the same date as the NTX Regional Competition.
- While there will be no formal presentation by the students, the team will stand with their model during judging to briefly explain their research solution (waste managment) and answer the judges' questions.
- Judges will spend approximately 5 minutes with each model display.
- Adults (parents, teachers, mentors) are not allowed to participate. They may stand quietly (out of the way, along the walls) and observe.
- Future City Competition Junior will provide prizes for Best Essay, Best Model, and Best Overall Junior Team. Additional special awards may also be presented.
- Prizes will consist of a cash award, gift cards for the students and a plaque/certificate.
- Prizes will be presented during the Future City NTX Regional Awards Ceremony immediately following the Regional Competition.
- Participants will comply with the basic rules of the Future City Competition program as laid out in the handbook and as modified in the 2017 Junior rules and rubrics.
- Deadlines will not be extended. Teams making submittals after the deadlines will receive penalty points.
- Any conflicts will be resolved locally. There is no appeal.
- The judges' decisions are final.
- Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable.
- Late or missing work. See Schedule for specific dates.
- Essay after due date - Minus 5 points
- Essay after final deadline - will not be scored at all
- Note: Missing work does not disqualify a team.
- Incomplete or missing Honor Statement - Minus 2 points
- Exceeding the maximum word limit on the Research Essay - Minus 10 points
- Over budget or undocumented expenses - Model costs exceeding $50 or missing Expense Form - Minus 15 points
- Incomplete expense form - missing receipts, not accounting for all major items, missing teacher signature - Minus 5 points
- Model ID - Missing all or part of Model ID - Minus 1-5 points
- Model size - Exceeding the max dimensions for the model in any direction - Minus 15 points
- Unsportsmanlike conduct by team members or guests (includes rude behavior to judges, competitors, or disruption of another team's judging session) - Minus 20 points
- Destruction of another team's model or presentation materials - Disqualification
|Thru 31 Oct||Registration|
|Oct-Nov||Student teams research and write essay|
|2 Dec||Essay due|
||Last date for Essay files. |
Files received by this date will have 5 points deducted.
|Competition Day - 28 Jan 2017
||Competition at UT Arlington, Nedderman Hall|
2016-17 Registered Organizations
- Camey Elementary, Lewisville
- Cooper Elementary, Cooper
- Delaney Elementary, Kennedale
- Harmony School of Business, Dallas
- Homeschool, Grapevine
- McCollough Intermediate, Highland Park
- Martha Moreno Elementary, Dallas
- Patterson Elementary, Kennedale
- Village Tech Schools, Cedar Hill
- Wallace Middle School, Mount Pleasant
Detailed information and schedule here.